*Montana Residency Requirements – How to Become a Montana Resident
How to get Montana residency for the purpose of getting a Montana Driver’s License:
- You are considered as having Montana residency after 60 consecutive days and must have a Montana license in order to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Montana.
- For a Montana commercial motor vehicle license, the requirement is 30 days.
- For more information on Montana driver’s licensing, see Montana Code Annotated 61-5-103 and the Montana Department of Justice, Motor Vehicle Division Montana Driver Licensing page.
How to get Montana residency for the purposes of Montana Fishing Licenses and Montana Hunting Licenses:
- You are considered a Montana resident after having lived 180 consecutive days in Montana.
- After establishing Montana residency, you must live in the state of Montana a minimum of 120 days a year.
- Your principal home must be located in Montana.You must file Montana state income tax returns as a resident (if required to file).
- Vehicles operated in Montana must be licensed and titled as required by Montana law.
- You can be registered to vote only in the state of Montana.
- You cannot claim residency in any other state or country for any purpose.
- There MAY be different requirements for members of the US armed forces. For more information, go to Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks.
How to become a Montana resident for the purpose of Montana Higher Education:
- A student must be domiciled in Montana for one year immediately preceding registration.
- Attendance as a full-time student is not sufficient to qualify for residence.
- For more information, see Montana Code Annotated 20-25-201.
*All information contained herein is derived from sources deemed reliable, however, information is not guaranteed by Taunya Fagan Real Estate, agents, brokers, or ESTATE House brokers.